Saturday, December 6, 2008

Why are you going THERE?! by Schu

Druglords and sandinista rebels aside, it was 2006 and the wunderlust was strong upon me. I windowshopped the world map and explored all that Frommers and LonelyPlanet had to offer. And then one day I got an email from NatGeo about 25 best tours. And I gazed upon all the offerings of exotic locales and the hefty pricetag attached. Forlorn. There was one wee tour for a small sum to Nicaragua and it sounded just right, but alas I was beyond broke. And even now am not brave enough, or stalwart enough to trek by myself, just yet, as I work best with beginnings and ends, and dispensing with anxiety over lodging, though it may not always be this way. I think I could come close to going guideless one day. Perhaps next year...

But anyway, I got the brochure book, investigated the tour company, and decided that going to a place with islands and sandy beaches as my sole divergance might make me regret being single. And I obsessively began to chat about it, and friend Cath started sending me articles about all the fabulous things Nicaragua had to offer. It's the new costaRica you see. And then I hit the perfect blend of activity, relaxation, and culture... more investigating. And thought yes! I want THIS TOUR. Meanwhile as I was in exile in imagination land, penniless and investigating my own internal meandering down a dank tributary of the amazon, lost- And then the year ticked over and I got a new job, and I knew I just inched closer to my goal. But hesitated, waiting for the timing to strike hot. And then it slipped from my fingers, the job ended and I'd missed my window. Not wanting to miss it again, come hell or high water I waited 2.5 months into this new job to buy my ticket come what may. Fully knowing I could in a matter of months be jobless again.

So due to funds, it was the cheapest place to start, I'd been to Europe and places like Jordan/Egypt, Southeast Asia, and South America are next on my list... Either because I've never conceived of them before, the lure of thick massive roots entwined in ancient stone, or wanting to eat at the Pizza hut over looking the pyramids, was the next best thing to breathing.

I do know that I will never have the time or money, unless I set my mind to my task and proceed as planned, not with folly but a hearty sense of optimism and a little universal timing-

And now I've read about Central America, read a few books... and now wait with my toes tucked and my eyes wide to see what I find.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The price was right and the place is new, what more could you ask for except to travel with friends.

Ah that NatGeo that gave us an evening with an owl expert.