Friday, December 12, 2008

Target on My Forehead¿


I woke and did not shower. I did that last night, but anyway, it was not what you´d call hot anyway, so I don´t know how motivated I will be to actually bathe. I might. We´ll see. But I digress, yesterday I was completely ignored, and today I´ve been approached by scads of brightly colored women and children, ¨something for your mother, your friend... your enemy?¨ They say with smiles, knowing looks, and they pull from their slings loads of bangles. Promising real stone. I don´t know what compelled me but I bought what i´m sure is NOT tourquoise for an outrageous sum of $15. And after entering a shop where everything had tags and lulled me into a trance of no fuss, no bother, no hassling me, I was suckered again by a woman named Theresa who said her mother wove this and it took 3 wks... Well even if it did or not. And that she would charge me less but she must eat. Mmhmm. Whatever. I just don´t know what suddenly made me so approachable. i must put back on the armor of no nonsense and bother. None of this merchant interaction. I was not even nearly as tempted inTurkey and those people are hard'core. Enough is enough. I´ve already had to track down an ATM... and my own citibank does not take mastercard, which mine is... left me all sorts of confused, and left to track down a MC on the otherside of town, where I ate at Pollo Companero... chicken and fries can be got anywhere. Which was much less healthy than the steamed vege, grilled chicken i had for dinner... They lost power a couple times and no one seemed to mind... and now I am as Pen says, off to the volcano!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you brushing your teeth with bottled water?

schu said...

that would mean i would have to brush my teeth... we'll see.