Thursday, December 11, 2008

The first Wander, by SCHU


Woke up probably not as awake as I should´ve been as I was still rubbing sleep from my eyes as I turned the wrong way and ended up in a random corner of town. I sat consulting the small map and set my goals by a fountain... one of which was get money, and I hate doing anything of the kind, but after roaming around for an hour I made an attempt because I was getting hungry and what if I wanted to buy things... it couldn´t be about plastic all the time. And who knew where the atm´s were anyway not i... and the banks themselves seemed the only places with armed guards and impeccably clean glass windows.

While unable to actually look around as much as an absent minded professor, due to deftly navigating cobblestones and treacherous sidewalks with 2ft drops, I did manage to finally take some pictures and get to the central part of town. And of course myself among them, all the notfromhere types stick out, as I ran across a discreet subway and mcdonalds... I disavowed them and soldiered on, inhaling noxious car fumes and finding every few blocks ruins of what seemed like really brilliant cathedrals and then there´s the buses and the mix of everytype of person. Generally ignoring and sometimes briefly glancing in my direction. Why does the girl seem to be consulting that tiny black book all the time... and what is she looking for exactly. I am not quite sure, but I am proud that I have been surviving on cliff bars, found a lovely garden restaurant and had an omlette, purchased a bottle of water, a rosary and 5 postcards. You see it´s the little successes on your first day that are truly extraordinary... have not died of thirst, found internet cafe, did not get hit by errant car, may hopefully find the hotel again. Day by day I will count myself more and more victorious. One can only wonder what adventure awaits me for dinner.... (feel free to give me photo assignments and requests.)





7 comments:

penelope said...

Look at all the produce! Good for you, passing up the McD's and Subway. Those are for when you absolutely just need a taste of "home."

Are those kids fighting or hugging?

ashley said...

Wow! You are really wandering! I'm impressed with your fortitude! :)

~sarah said...

look at all the colors! so great! keep up the photography.

~sarah said...

assignment: info on your tour buddies, candid photos and character quirks. : )

Niki said...

gorgeous pictures. so jealous!

rc-d said...

isn't "absent minded professor" a tautology?

Somebody's Mom said...

Wonderful photos.
Photo assignment: take a corny photo of you holding the moon.. (Tomorrow is the Yule moon.)
And I want to see said fountain, I bet that there are a lot of them. And gates to courtyards.