Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pre-travel tidbits

Today in the library I was helping a student research literature in El Salvador. Since I had all the reference sources out, I thought I would learn a little about Costa Rican Lit.

According to the Handbook of Latin American Literature, there are 5 identifiable stages in Costa Rican letters:

(1) the Colonial Period's denunciatory essay
(2) the development of the essay during the formative years of the Republic
(3) the narrative of manners (costumbrismo)
(4) the social denunciation of the Generation of 1940s
(5) the theatre and poetry of the current socioeconomic crisis

Not being much of an essay girl myself, I am going to try and find some costumbrismos, and I will enlighten all on Costa Rican manners.

3 comments:

schu said...

how do the periods influence the work- or is it narratives or ? the focus of the narratives...

schu said...

caths response:

they are time periods(phases, eras?) where a certain type of work was most popular, or influential-
they seem to mostly be a non-fiction people
but i couldn't find any of the early works nor the manner naratives in english

it doesn't not seem that they have embraced the novel as a literary form . . .

penelope said...

non-fiction, and opposed to writing novels? obviously i would fit right in.