Monday, December 15, 2008

Is Anyone Reading This Thing¿

Cuz i know you care about every minutia of my travels. I barely survived the mercifully short bus ride of 7 plus hours, and didn´t eat lunch but a piece of bread and some almonds... which no amount of ginger pills and agua con gas could save me from nausea and the chokingfumes of guatemala city, the massive mountainscape, or the heavy breaking foot of the driver. UGH. But prior to that, I confess, I salsa´d. And now I know some basic steps. True story. And a little meranga too. Martin, my tour leader, showed up with beer in hand and said, come, come schu, come salsa! So I turned off the latest episode of Monk, with a last longing look at my bed, and went down. And I wasn´t too bad. Now that´s the truth. I can shake it. I´ll admit it. I´m shaking it right now to some latin rap in the internet cafe. And my dance instructer nodded his approval. muey beuno chica. shake it chicas. shake it!

And upon arrival in the charming town of Copan: you immediately find, restaurants, and the bank and you calculate how much limpuras is to the dollar (18.95=$1) and you consult with everyone what a tip would be and how much is $10 and what one should be paying for agua and if anyone is on a budget and where the nearest bar is and when does it close. And of course the internet cafe and man, why I haven´t I found a post office yet!




3 comments:

penelope said...

Questions and observations:
1. Of course I'm interested in every little bit of minutiae!
2. Cool money. And rocks!
3. Is the agua clean? Are you sticking to bottled? I worry.
4. Is Monk in Spanish?
5. Salsa!! Who knew, Schu!

Anonymous said...

What postcards are not in the mail!


Shocked.
I am so happy to hear the details as they happen. That last photo makes me think of the barrio, and wonder what is changing hands.

Move to the music! Hazar!

~sarah said...

salsa! ay carumba! shake it is right! did you pick up a red dress yet? ;)