Friday, January 23, 2009

Things I got mYself

Hello, Self:
Here's what you got yourself. You went a little crazy but that's not so bad. On the way back from the mountain, as suggested by another, more foreward thinking person, you picked up a tiny chunk of volcanic rock. Years from now you will not remember much about this rock or why it's gathering dust on your shelf, or resting in the attic in a bowl of such rocks, but for now, along with a small vial of volcanic sand, it's a pretty fantastic reminder. Just in case you forget, though at the time you could barely marvel at it, you were pretty fricking close to lava! I got the seed beads in Nicaragua and I like them for just being basic and awesome. The multi-colored wood/bead combo I got for probably the outrageous but cheap sum of $8 cash. It was the most unique wood beading necklace I saw through all of my travels. And its purchase was unforeseen as I made my way back to my hotel one night in La Fortuna, and wandered into a wood sculpture studio. If I had had more cash I would've bought more. I actually had to tell myself no.

This I got from Nicaragua though there were others like it in Guatemala. It was a great last minute but perfect purchase! Though I was initially hesistant to the textiles of Central America, they came to win me over.

I was suspect about the ravings of Flor de Cana Rum but I got this bottle for $4 and it's a very smoothe rich tasting Rum- and I had the best Mojito I've ever had in Roatan, and I can only hope it was made with this stuff.

Hi butterfly. I got you for $10. Though I could've easily picked a more ubiquitous butterfly, a flashy blue one for instance I was drawn in by your subtle charm. Though cathy insists its like having a mounted head on the wall, all I can do is marvel at your natural beauty... and mostly hope you died of natural causes. I got you in Costa Rica.

Hello Conch shell earrings. I got these beauties in Granada, Nicaragua. They're shiny and I like them.
The hammock... not pictured.

One day hammock. I'll get you strung and you're going to be glorious. Don't doubt it.
And you my fair beauty I also got in Nica. Though I regret not getting more in Guatemala, I knew by the time I hit Granada what I liked and didn't, what was common and what was a find... I think this is a pretty good summation of my trip in all its tiny parts- the beauty of nature in all its forms: cotton, wood, rock, butterfly, volcanic, shell and sugarcane... who knew! I see a theme!!! Awesome.


2 comments:

penelope said...

Aw, you're so nice to the self. So thoughtful. It makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Yay hammock! I like the earrings.